I have had a serious love for white slip-covers for some time now…why i didn’t buy couches that were already slip covered 3 years ago when i bought these? don’t know…
But about a year 1/2 after we bought the couches the back cushions were starting to separate from the couch – these couches were not cheap. Also about that same time i changed the paint colors in my family room/kitchen. The couches still matched ok but they were crying out “cover me Sausha, cover me!!!”
So i bought the fabric a year 1/2 ago and it sat there – all this time… At first i was super pumped and ready to go, then i got intimidated – then i got busy with other stuff.
So in January my brother started the sofa for me (he used to re-upholster furniture), then he got busy and wasn’t able to finish it before my husband came home, which was my goal since he left for Iraq last year.
I had a 3 day weekend this past week and decided that i NEED THEM DONE!!! I started on Friday morning – worked for about 8 hours, started again on Saturday – worked for about 9 hours and now they are officially 95% DONE!!!!
Yeah for me :) They were not as hard as i thought that they were going to be – i was super disappointed that i couldn’t do the piping/cording because my sewing machine just couldn’t handle all the layers of fabric. But they turned out good, i am really impressed with my mad sewing skills! I am a self taught sewer, didn’t follow a pattern, just measured, chalked out and then sewed. No exact measurements for me though – everything was a pretty rough guess, but it all turned out good. And i like that the covers are pretty tight – a lot of homemade covers i see are loose.
I will post the before pics of the sofa soon along with the rest of the room but i was so excited that i wanted to show you guys! Plus i have been a very bad blogger and needed to get something posted :)
You can see that i haven’t finished the decorative pillows yet – i went and got more fabric today and will finish those up next week.
I still need to hem the bottom up and i may have a little trick to make the piping work.
There are definitely things that i would have done different and wish i would have done a few extra little things – but i had a deadline and i wasn’t sure exactly how long they were going to take.
Also just so you know, i removed the original pillows that were attached to the couch and bought big comfy 30in x 30in pillows instead.
Anyways, i still need to finish my chair and i will do a tutorial on that one – sorry but no tutorial until then, i didn’t think i had time to take pics when i did these . But i will show you both of the couches and the room soon :)